It’s about 4:00am on Wednesday December 17th. It’s less than a week to Christmas and my classes are finally all finished for the semester. I’ve turned my room into this blanket cave and have been hibernating. I really just popped by to add a few new updates of my work. I finished this website for my friends’ band and it turned out pretty rad.
I started working on it last April and they finally needed it for their debut release record that came out December 5th. I haven’t checked out the entire thing yet (I know, I know, terrible), but they’re playing a show this Friday at the Boston Manor in Burlington (Open inviting to come along!) so I’ll definitely hear the whole record there. Looking back at my process on the website design and development I made some huge mistakes, and learned a crazy amount from it.
My design is super basic and I know how to move forward now but I usually don’t like anything I’ve made looking back at it. I hope people dig it because their band is stellar and it felt great to contribute to such a killer project. I made a lame little collage of screenshots to check out and I’ll post the website link.
And my second thing is a cool interactive band website application prototype I designed. The idea revolved (ha, revolved… you’d get that if you used the app.) around a ticket purchasing interface where you move a bus around to different cities where the band is touring. When the bus lands in say Toronto, the app opens up a ticket purchasing interface.
It’s fully functional and I 3D modeled Toronto and Montreal on an Earth and a tour van that rotates around the earth. I coded the thing using WebGL libraries so it’s ‘cutting-edge’. I’m not posting the app because it’s janky and it stinks, but I love it so I’ll give you some screenshots.
I’m also posting a movie poster design that I kinda dug. I took some photos in Toronto edited them (instagram style) and added some trimmings.
Okay, my next post will be one updating my life and thoughts and junk, I swear! And yeah, here’s a great tune by Real Estate.
As per usual, lots to talk about but I’m just popping by for a quick update!
This semester has been crazy stressful and I haven’t had much time to even breathe. Between working as a bartender, (pretty much a life dream) hammering out assignments of varied nature and maintaining some sort of social life, I’m pretty beat. But it ain’t over yet. I’m super nervous about our webGL assignment, because I have no idea what I’m doing. I’m sitting in class just pretending I’m a programmer/coder and so far the charade isn’t holding up. We’ll see where I end up.
Recently we completed this electronics assignment where we thought up a mechanical concept (utilizing the Arduino), prototyped it, wired it and laser cut a container to create an end product. We called it the Drunken Noise Box. Such a fun project, and it’s a great step away from coding in a digital space. I’ll post the shaky-ass Vimeo at the end of the post
As for bar-tending, I’m having the time of my life. I somehow got the bartending position at my school pub and I am so stoked to be apart of such a stellar group of people and killer environment. I’ve already meet so many new friends and it’s quickly become the second half of my life. I even bar tended during a USS show, which again, pretty much a life goal checked off the list.
I started this drink recipe collection on scrap paper and a friend suggested to just use a notebook, so I’ll be making like a drinks recipe and reference book, thing. If we ever create our own random drink that’s rad maybe I’ll post it on here or something. Also had the idea of making a digital app and a infographic where people could select a drink to order based on mood and current tastes. Still an idea in progress but it might be cool if people dug it.
Okay, I think that’s it for now, but below I’ll have a new song to check out and my Vimeo of The Drunken Noise Box.
Here’s a typographic portrait of John Lennon done using Processing version 1.5.1 and all the lyrics from the song Revolution. The code I was using was about 5 years old and wouldn’t run properly on the newest version so I had to downgrade and change a few things around to getting it working – such as the P2D renderer not registering so I had to switch to JAVA2D in a few cases but I’ll post the code below so you can see what I was working with. Most of it is pulled right from the reference, but I see this as a learning experience for me.
I wish I could say that I wrote all of this code but I’ve been playing around with this all day and I at least understand it a bit more and am going to keep working with it to get some more personalized results later on.
Here are the links to the references I used and also a link to a Processing text book with a few basic typographic Processing tutorials.